Residential Tutor Employment
Now Accepting Applications
The Residential Tutor is primarily involved in providing academic services focused on learning & success for students living on campus at Texas Tech University. Residential Tutors (RT) provide evening tutoring in the residence halls. University Student Housing hires Residential Tutors to provide peer tutoring in the following subjects:
- Political Science
- U.S. History
Preference is given to applicants qualified to tutor in multiple subject areas. Starting pay for Residential Tutors is $9.00 per hour for undergraduate students and $9.50 per hour for graduate students.
Required Qualifications at Time of Hire
Residential Tutors are responsible for tutoring in at least one subject. The required course prerequisites and preferred qualifications are:
|Subject||Required Course Prerequisites||Preferred Qualifications|
|Chemistry||Principles of Chemistry (CHEM 1307 or equivalent) with a B or higher||Declared chemistry major or minor and/or related major or minor|
|Math||Calculus II (MATH 1352 or equivalent) with a B or higher||Declared math, engineering, and/or other math intensive major or minor|
|Writing||Freshman English (ENGL 1302 or equivalent) and other writing intensive courses with an average grade of a B or higher||Declared English, journalism, and/or other writing intensive major or minor|
|Political Science||American Public Policy and American Government (POLS 2302, 1301 or equivalent) courses with a B or higher||Declared political science and/or other related major or minor|
|U.S. History||United States History courses (History 2300 and 2301 or equivalent) with a B or higher||Declared history and/or other related major or minor|
|Biology||Biology I (1403) and Biology II (1404 or equivalent) courses with a B or higher||Declared biology major or minor and/or related major or minor|
|Physics||Physics I (1408) and Physics II (2401 or equivalent) courses with a B or higher||Declared engineering, physics, and/or other related major or minor|
When hired, a Residential Tutor must maintain the minimum required employment criteria, which includes:
- Maintain status as a full time student at Texas Tech University or Texas Tech Health Sciences Center (minimum 12 undergraduate credit hours or 9 graduate credit hours) or have equivalent total credit hours between TTU and TTUHSC
- Must achieve and maintain a minimum 3.000 TTU/TTUHSC semester GPA, and 3.250 TTU/TTUHSC cumulative GPA
- Must maintain good academic and judicial standing with TTU/TTUHSC, University Student Housing, and Student Judicial Programs
How to Apply
- Answer the following questions in the form of a cover letter that you will upload (Download an example Cover Letter):
- Please introduce yourself, making sure to include your name, R number, major, how many semesters you have lived on campus as of Fall 2015 and a phone number.
- What motivates you to apply for the Residence Tutor (RT) position?
- Describe your skills and experiences that have prepared you for the RT role.
- Go to http://www.depts.ttu.edu/hr/workattexastech/.
- The Requisition ID for the Residential Tutor Tutor Position is: 8523BR
- Fill out the electronic application.
- Upload your resume and cover letter.
- Please be aware that you must provide names of two references on your job application form. We will contact each of them to obtain their reference. Consider applying early to allow your references time to respond to our request by the application deadline.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call Audrey at (806) 834-8967.